terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012

Indirect speech/ Reported Speech -Part I

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 These are some very important details to be remembered when Indirect/  Reported Speech is studied. Take a look:

Tense change

As a rule when you report something someone has said you go back a tense: (the tense on the left changes to the tense on the right):

Direct speech
Indirect speech
Present simple
She said, "It's cold."
› Past simple
She said it was cold.
Present continuous
She said, "I'm teaching Spanish online."
› Past continuous
She said she was teaching Spanish online.
Present perfect simple
She said, "I've been on the web since 1989."
› Past perfect simple
She said she had been on the web since 1989.
Present perfect continuous
She said, "I've been teaching English for seven years."
› Past perfect continuous
She said she had been teaching English for seven years.
Past simple
She said, "I taught yesterday."
› Past perfect
She said she had taught  yesterday.
Past continuous
She said, "I was teaching earlier."
› Past perfect continuous
She said she had been teaching earlier.
Past perfect
She said, "The lesson had already started when he arrived."
› Past perfect
NO CHANGE - She said the lesson had already started when he arrived.
Past perfect continuous
She said, "I'd already been teaching for ten minutes."
› Past perfect continuous
NO CHANGE - She said she'd already been teaching for ten minutes.

Modal verb forms also sometimes change:

Direct speech
Indirect speech
will
She said, "I'll teach English online tomorrow."
› would
She said she would teach English online tomorrow.
can
She said, "I can teach English online."
› could
She said she could teach English online.
must
She said, "I must have a computer to teach English online."
› had to
She said she had to have a computer to teach English online.
shall
She said, "What shall we learn today?"
› should
She asked what we should learn today.
may
She said, "May I open a new browser?"
› might
She asked if she might open a new browser.






Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário